homeabout meshopdaily readsfaqcontact

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Impromptu Cookie Baking

That's right guys. I didn't have anything planned for the blog today, so when I heard my mom mention baking cookies I immediately jumped up from my permanent post on the couch and screamed a war cry that sounded something like "I WILL BAKE THEM!!! I WILL BAKE THE COOKIES!!!" So I scrounged up an old recipe that my mom got from her college classmate and baked "Mrs. Fields Cookies." We were out of some of the ingredients though, so in true Tim Gunn style, I made it work.

The recipe. It originally made 112 cookies, but I cut it in half and made around 40. Maths.
The oat "flour". It is just good ol' Quaker Oats ground up in a food processor. Yum. Horsey food.
Wet ingredients sans eggs and vanilla.
Everything except the chocolate. Geeze, looking so appetizing.
Two different kinds of chocolate= one really delicious cookie.
Pre-baking. Golf ball sized beauties.
Post- baking. This cookie is happy to be a cookie.

Chocolate Chip Cookies: Adapted from Mrs. Fields recipe
Makes around 40 puffy 2 inch by 2 inch cookies

Ingredients...
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 and 1/2 cups uncooked oats
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 12 oz. bag of milk chocolate chips
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate

Let's get cookin' good lookin'...
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Put oats in a food processor and grind until they are the same consistency as flour. Set aside.
3. Grate semi-sweet chocolate into thin short sticks. Set aside.
4. Cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar in a blender.
5. Add in eggs and vanilla to the blender.
6. Fold in flour, oats, salt, baking powder, and baking soda by hand.
7. Mix in milk chocolate chips and grated semi-sweet chocolate.
8. Form golf ball sized dough balls and place them 2 inches apart on an unbaked cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 7 minutes.
10. Voila! Delicious cookies.

Final ruling...
They are delicious. The semi-sweet and milk chocolates go together wonderfully. The oats add awesome texture, even though I was initially iffy about using them. And served warm, these cookies may be on top of my favorite cookie list. They're easy and quick to make, and I didn't even have to go to the store for extra ingredients. I am a happy girl.

Until next time,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment